Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I was already thinking about giving up on being a completist

And I thought the Starfleet Daily Affirmations books were flaky.

Star Trek Revealed: The Spiritual Dimension of the Original Series by Carole Devine will be published in October. Apparently, Star Trek isn't about a positive future made possible by science and technology; it's a new age parable, and astrologer Devine wants to tell us how Star Trek is all about creating our own realities.

The listed publisher is Bruce & Bruce, though other bookstores show it as an AtlasBooks title. Atlas looks like an AuthorHouse-style vanity press.

At one point, I thought I might try to be a Doctor Who completist, or at least keep up with all the new Doctor Who books, but I gladly passed up on the chance to buy a few books on how the new Who promotes Christianity. This book, along with the Roddenberry.com Cafepress scriptbooks, may be just enough to stop me from being a Trek books completist....

1 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astrology? "New Age"? AAAK! Tragic. . Gene must be rolling in his grave at the prospect.
Forget about the "completist" thing, my friend. Is your library not overstuffed yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home