Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Star Trek books stuff

Here's an edited excerpt of the schedule posted by Marco Palmieri at TrekBBS, Psi Phi, Simonsays, and perhaps others I've missed. I've left out the SCE ebooks because their schedule hasn't changed (and for what it's worth, I've started buying the ebooks since the print schedule was cut), and I've also left out reprints.
JUN
Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Tales From The Captain's Table by various (trade paperback)

JUL
Voyager: String Theory, Book 1: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang
Strange New Worlds 8 by various (trade paperback)

AUG
Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack

SEP
TNG: Death in Winter by Michael Jan Friedman (hardcover)

OCT
Titan: The Red King by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin

NOV
Voyager: String Theory, Book 2: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer
Voyager: Distant Shores by various (trade paperback)

DEC
Enterprise: Rosetta by David Stern

JAN
Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett

FEB
New Frontier: Missing in Action (working title) by Peter David (hardcover)

We also remain cautiously optimistic that the Captain's Glory hardcover novel will be published during the last quarter of 2005.
This is where the news of the schedule cutback really hits home. A lot of series are unrepresented there. I read all of them, so I will be buying and reading all of these books

So... in a nine month period, that's three books that can't be easily slotted into any one of the existing TV series; possibly four, if the Shatnerverse book appears. Three Voyager books, celebrating that show's tenth anniversary. One Next Generation novel and two Titan TNG spinoff novels. One Enterprise novel. And one TOS spinoff Vanguard novel.

It's not like I don't have enough books to read already, but I think I may find this one-book-a-month thing more frustrating than I originally thought.

Meanwhile, over at the Complete Starfleet Library website...

As of April 1, the Well, the online system that hosts my website, is upgrading the amount of web storage space its users can have. I will have a lot more space. So I think I may be adding a lot more cover scans to the site over the next few months. I may have to go for a smaller image size, though, or else make some big changes. One possibility is creating tables, so when the image takes up more vertical space on the page than the accompanying text, it doesn't push the next book's image over. Another is moving away from the current paradigm of listing all books by the year they're published. The problem with the latter is that it would be a lot of work. All those index pages I finally redid would be obsolete. So I don't think I want to go that way. Tables? Maybe. That'll be less time-consuming, but not exactly fast. Either way, a lot of work for a site that costs me money rather than makes it... I think I'll go with smaller pics.

Once I get caught up with the things I want to do with the site, keeping it updated is going to be a breeze. Looks like we're going back to pre-TNG numbers of Star Trek books.

(Now playing: Grandaddy, "AM180," 28 Days Later soundtrack.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home