Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Vanguard story continues



Maybe this ebook business isn't so bad after all, if it means getting a little more exposure for new series in a crowded lineup. Though I'm way behind in my SCE reading, I read Distant Early Warning to prepare for Summon the Thunder. It's a good, solid story. I think it drops a few too many reminders that this is set very early in the TOS timeline and everyone's wearing "Where No Man Has Gone Before"-style uniforms, but I imagine plenty of SCE readers don't even realize there were different uniforms then. And if that's the worst nitpick I can come up with, somebody's doing something right.

And Pocket is certainly doing something right these days, finding new ways to explore the Star Trek universe without falling victim to the play-it-safe mentality that kept Voyager and Enterprise too often feeling like reheated TNG leftovers.

I don't want to say too much about Distant Early Warning until I've read Summon the Thunder, when I'll know how the two tie together. But I did manage to start Summon the Thunder last night. I'm going to be an Xbox widower for the next several days, as Laura plays through the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games she bought on Sunday, so I should have plenty of time to devote to Vanguard.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, I know. I want to. I've got them all, it's just a matter of finding time to read them. There are several hundred unread books waiting to be read, and I keep buying more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home